Introduction to Inks
warning OPTIONAL FOR HOME USE
Do not buy for studio use
If you already have watercolor materials, you can use the same palette.
- Large and white plastic palette, approx. 15 in. by 12 in. With out without lid, and with or without thumbhole. Suggested brands: Richeson or Tom Lynch. (A MUCH CHEAPER version is a bag of plastic plates. Avoid paper plates).
Accessories and Tools
- Small jar of Masking Fluid with dye other than white. Buy Winsor and Newton or cheapest brand, but please avoid Daler-Rowney—it causes terrible headaches.
- Watercolor pad, approx. 11 in by 15 in. Cold Press. Be sure it is 140lb weight. Either spiral or bound. Suggested brands: Canson, Strathmore. Please avoid Bienfang.
- Approximately 1 ounce bottle of black drawing ink, any brand. Avoid calligraphy and writing ink. Any favorite colors, minding your budget. At least one color other than black. No white please! One small bottle sepia. Good Brands: Kooh-I-Noor, Pelikan.
From Your Drawing Kit
- 2B graphite pencil
- White rubber eraser. Suggested brand: Staedler
- Roll cheap masking tape (VERY IMPORTANT)