Introduction to Inks
If you already have watercolor materials, you will not need to repurchase things such as palettes.
- One large and white plastic palette, approx. 15 in. by 12 in. With out without lid, and with or without thumbhole. Suggested brands: Richeson or Tom Lynch. (A MUCH CHEAPER version is a bag of plastic plates. Avoid paper plates).
Accessories and Tools
- One small jar of Masking Fluid with dye other than white. Buy Winsor and Newton or cheapest brand, but please avoid Daler-Rowney—it causes terrible headaches.
- One watercolor pad, approx. 11 in by 15 in. Cold Press. Be sure it is 140lb weight. Either spiral or bound. Suggested brands: Canson, Strathmore. Please avoid Bienfang.
- Approximately 1 ounce bottle of black drawing ink, any brand. Avoid calligraphy and writing ink. Any favorite colors, minding your budget. At least one color other than black. No white please! One small bottle sepia. Good Brands: Kooh-I-Noor, Pelikan.
From Your Drawing Kit
- One 2B graphite pencil
- One white rubber eraser. Suggested brand: Staedler
- One roll cheap masking tape (VERY IMPORTANT)
warning We cannot store your materials and gear in-house. If you choose to purchase your own sets, please bring the to class, and take them back home with you each time.
warning All students carry the same materials, please label yours! Check our Lost-n-Found bin regularly. Thank You!