Skin & Bones Studio
Live figure & skeletal anatomy studio
Live Figure & Skeletal Anatomy Studio
Please note there will be no S&B Studio class on Thursday 4/18 and 4/25. Our parent studio, the AAHP, is closed for Spring Break from Friday April 19, to and including Saturday April 27.
Welcome to Skin & Bone Studio (S&B Studio) for Live Figure and Bone Anatomy Studies, a workshop offering beginners to well-seasoned artists an opportunity to strengthen and explore figure drawing.
For more than 2000 years, the arts of the West have idealized the human body as the most beautiful and expressive form in space. Join us at the easel to observe, interpret, and portray the human body in repose and action. Enjoy standing and seating opportunities at the easel, where you will have access to live nude and partially nude figure poses. You can also portray bone anatomy by observing our medical-grade life-size human skeleton, as well as smaller animal carvings.
Who: Adults 18 and over, total beginners to experienced artists
What: Figure drawing classes with live model(s) and all drawing materials included
Where: Class offered through the AAHP’s S&B Studio at Soma Center, 511 Raritan Ave., 2nd Floor, Highland Park, NJ
When: Thursdays, doors open at 7:30 pm for set up. Model begins posing at 7:45 pm
|Type||Class Duration||Materials Included||Current Rates||Savings|
|Single Class (up to three)||2 Hours||yes||$45.00||—|
|Bundle of Four Classes||2 Hours||yes||$40.00||$20.00|
Discounted Group Rates Available!
Email S&B Studio at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (732) 777-2085
Class Registration Policy
Student/Student Representative buys a bundle of 4 classes or 1-3 classes independent of set Thursday evening dates. Student/Student Representative gets to select their own preferred workshop dates as follows; all Student/Student Representatives will receive a text message when registration for the upcoming week’s class is opened. Easel space fills on first come first serve basis, meaning Students will be registered once their text has been received and confirmed by S&B Studio. Student/Student Representatives that purchase a four class bundle will have a 24 hour window advantage to register by text, before the class opens to 1-3 class Student/Student Representatives. All class purchases and student information registration must be made in advance through the Registration form. No drop-ins at S&B Studio will be accepted. Classes are non-transferable. No refunds for S&B Studio classes. Unused class payments will transfer as credits for studio classes at the AAHP.
If you are 18+, then register here
Model and Pose Schedule
Each week will feature a different theme for our live models. If the scheduled live model is absent, a robed model will act as the substitute.
- 4/18 – CLASS CANCELLED –
Lazy Day at Home (woman model) – Please note, this class will be held as a drawing group with no formal instructor present. The next class will resume again with Instructor Ana Soto-Canino present.
- 4/25 – NO CLASS – CLOSED FOR SPRING BREAK
- 5/2 – Gone Fishing (male model)
During any S&B Studio hour, you can choose any of the following opportunities for learning at no additional charge. You select your options during studio. Please note that the modeling and posing remains the same for all learning experiences, and as scheduled for any given Thursday; what changes is your approach at the easel, with or without instruction. Options listed below.
- Work with an instructor and syllabus: your instructor will help you develop and refine the foundational skills and sensibilities that drive observation, interpretation and portrayal. This is an open-ended, structured and progressive skills-building program. This option is available to you for one or both hours, as you will, on any given class evening.
- Light instruction: your instructor will address the issues of the moment that you point out at the easel, but this instruction will not be based on the structured or progressive development of skills and sensibilities. This option is available to you for one or both hours, as you will, on any given class evening.
- Work alone: studio staff will offer the safety, security, comfort and gear that all practitioners need to work well in class, but will not intervene instructionally with your process or outcomes. This option is available to you for one or both hours, as you will, on any given class evening.
Come work among peers from all walks of life in an educational and highly supportive environment. Register at any time.
How to Reserve Easel Time (once classes have been purchased): Two Easy Steps
This course is open to adults 18 years and over.
1. A week prior to any Thursday’s live figure workshop, a text message will be sent to the cell phone number you provided on the S&B Studio Registration Form for texting service. This is your invitation to reserve easel time for that upcoming week.
Reservations for the upcoming Thursday Class open as follows
- If you purchased a bundle of 4 classes, you will receive a text message on the preceding Friday at 2 PM. As a bonus for a purchasing a bundle, you have a 24 hr. advantage for reserving easel time.
- If you purchased by single class (from one to three classes), you will receive a text message on the next day, Saturday, at 2 PM.
2. Respond to the text message with “Yes,” if you would like to reserve easel time at that upcoming Thursday class OR “No” if you do not wish to reserve for that week. Reservations for easel time are first-come-first-serve.
- If you respond “Yes,” you will receive a text either confirming that easel time has been reserved successfully, or that easel time for the upcoming Thursday class has already sold out.
- If you respond “No,” you are welcome to wait for the next weekly invitation that fits your schedule.
Important DocumentsStudio Floor Notes for All Practitioners
S&B Studio Student/Client Agreement
S&B Studio Code of Conduct